Rob has nearly 35 years’ experience in Federal Government employment including nearly 29 experience in law enforcement. Rob joined the Australian Federal Police in January 1984, and retired in November 2012. Rob served in Canberra (4 years) Melbourne (2 years) Canberra (5 years) and Sydney (17 years). During this time, he gained experience in a wide variety of areas, including Special Weapons and Tactics, community policing, Recruit Training, Fraud investigations, internal affairs, Airport response, Special Branch, Senior AFP Liaison Officer to AUSTRAC, Australia’s Financial Intelligence Unit, Close Personal Protection, Money Laundering investigations and Detective Training.
In 2005/6, Rob was selected to perform the role of Senior AFP Liaison officer, attached to Australia’s Financial Intelligence Unit, AUSTRAC. He was the Law enforcement representative, and gave a number of presentations to visiting foreign police and other intelligence agencies. He sat on a number of internal committees and was able to assist in evaluating suspicious matter reports in a timely manner so that they could be referred to the correct agency.
From 2009 to 2012, Rob built his AML/CTF skills to new heights. He attended a train – the – trainer program, for the Financial Investigations Training at the Jakarta Centre for Law Enforcement Cooperation. He has facilitated dozens of Financial Investigation Programs, for members of the Indonesian Police, PPATK, and the Indonesian Tax office. He has also facilitated training for the Philippines Drug Enforcement Agency and in Sri Lanka, for various agencies including prosecutors, Tax office, terrorism staff, national police and other agencies from, Maldives, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh and Nepal.
Rob has also assisted in the conduct of Money Laundering Investigation Programs in Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Abu Dhabi Botswana, Swaziland, Malawi and Pakistan. He also assisted in conducting training programs in Australia for the private sector, including the big 4 major banks.
Rob has attained the following qualifications:
- Bachelor of Legal And Justice (double major in Practice Management and Local Government)
- Certificate IV of Workplace Training and Assessment
- Numerous relevant Internal training programs in the Australian Federal Police including:
- Detective Training programs
- Money Laundering Investigation Program
- Management of Serious Crime Course (MOSC XX)
- Proceeds of Crime course
- Mobile Counter Terrorism Course
John graduated from the University of Wollongong in 1994 with a Bachelor of Commerce majoring in Accountancy and Economics. In 2002 John joined the Australian Federal Police and over the next 12 years covered a range of areas including Counter Terrorism, Fraud and Anti-corruption and Terrorist Financing. In 2009 John was deployed with the AFP’s International Deployment Group (IDG) as adviser to the Papua New Guinea Financial Intelligence Unit. In all John spent 3 years with the PNG FIU building the capacity of the unit to combat financial crime, most notably corruption, using anti-money laundering processes.
- John has attained the following qualifications:
- Qualified as Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (ACAMS)
- Masters of Forensic Accounting (with Distinction)
- Bachelor of Commerce (Accountancy and Economics)
- Qualified as Certified Practicing Accountant (CPA) Australia
- Graduate Certificate in Organisational Change
- Anti- Corruption Essentials (U4)
- Certificate IV in Frontline Management
- Diploma of Public Safety (Policing)
- AFP Counter Terrorism Investigations
- AFP Financial Investigators Program
John is currently completing a Master of Anti-money Laundering & Counter- Terrorist Financing